Translate

November 01, 2005

The ritual of the lights



This time of year when the time changes always brings on feelings that are dark and foreboding. Here where I live it gets dark now at 4 :45 or close to it.

My ritual of candle lighting begun winter when I first moved here with Daisy, if not already in full swing, begins suddenly to be most important.




I have all my Catholic candles in the hallway together much like they are in the churches, and I consider them votives to stand watch over my concerns when I am unable to do so because I am preoccupied with other duties. I have about 20 of them there in the hallway, and they are bright and warm, taking the chill of the air.


In the front window of the foyer I have 3 candles glowing and they shine out onto the dark world through architectural glass bricks.

In the living room there are a host of other candles, and the dining room has at least one, and three oil lamps are also lit.

We usually go round nights together lighting them, and instantly feel the chill go out of the air.


When it comes time to go to bed, I lean over each candle in complete privacy, and say a prayer for whomever comes to my mind; children, victims of disasters, prisoners, the poor, the hungry, the destitute, the misunderstood, the lonely, the hungry, those who have it all, those who are lost, friends, family, acquaintances.

YouĂ‚…are probably being prayed for, the love goes out, and surely it reaches you!

1 comment:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

I love this ritual, beautiful idea. I may have to start this as well - a wonderful way to "deal" with the early darkness out here in the northwest. Thanks for stopping by my blog - would enjoy having a latte some day too!