Translate

June 20, 2009

Collections,, and more,,, more collections...


I hope you have some collection to share, because I enjoy treasures of others so much, blogging gives is a glimpse inside each others homes, and hearts.

This plate and bowl are Mexican pottery with the calla Lily, one of my most favorite flowers, and as a matter of fact, my neighbor Jeanie, gave me a bouquet of them just last night, and I'll post them as soon as I upload them.
It's the most beautiful bouquet I think I ever received.. Wow! Thanks Jeanie!

bowl is filled with, yes, peony petals!

A Mexican folk art dog. These new styles have been made palatable for us, but in Mexico, the old ones are bright oranges, day glow blues, and purples, and are kinda scary, especially if you're staying in someone home in Mexico alone for the first time, and the house is full of them!

This is more Mexican folkart, the yarn piece is Huichol Indian, and references the ceremony of the Peyote button. The other object is a candle.

Little is known about the exact origin of the Huichol, but we do
know they refer to themselves as Warrarika, meaning healer
or prophets. Their dialect comes from Uto'Aztecan family of dialects.
Due to geographic isolation it was not known until 1722, 200 years
after the conquest of Mexico.


These masks are from GUERERRO MX.
I have collected MX folkarts for many many years, ( since the 70s)
but I think I need to make a new trip to Mexico and spruce up my collection..
These masks were unusual for Guererrro masks, which are usually in color.
Notice the details..
Funny, one day many years ago, before Internet Explorer, I at a friends,
Bernard Aboba, who was then working on Explorer. He asked me to look
for something I was interested in. ( This was BC Before computers, for me)
It was probably 1995.
I had no idea what I was doing, but I typed in Mexican Folkart.. no response..
then, Museum Of Anthropology, Mexico City,, no response.
Bernard said, how's it going? I said, I dunno, can't get anything,
told him what I had done, and he said, "well, that won't work, and threw
a disk in the trash. Now of course, we have Explorer, and Mexican Folkart is
all over the Internet.


This chicken is Japanese, and the book behind it is all about chickens. This was a gift from Dorothy, one of my very best friends. She lives in Seattle, but is from NY!
Some of my best collectables are from Dorothy!

On this shelf I have a fish from Guererro, I love it, it has a rabbit on it, and the movement is spectacular.
Also some N Mexico art, a very old boat, maybe by Lucy Martinez as a child, it has initials, and several pots that are Acima, from friends, one from Marylou, (MD) and one from John (Seattle) very good friends as well.
The folkart piece in the corner, the lady holding fish is from Dorothy, too, was a Christmas gift this year.

There is a raku piece from VanCouver BC ( Canada) it was a gift, and the tiny vase is Wiinblad.
Also The lidded container.
The Eskimo is from Alaska, and so is the small bone container with picto graphs.


This T Shirt I designed for my Friend, Ella, a few months ago. Ella is nearly 94.

These dishes are Japanese and Vietnamese and are actually from Costplus.. so when all fails for travel aboard,, don't let that stop you from appreciating what is made in another culture.

PLease comment on your collections and link to your blogs.

No comments: