Translate

August 08, 2005

Porcelain Bowls ..soon to be fired!


Finally fired and with "georgous hair" in this, "self portrait"
I have been wiped out today, but I decorated the rest of the bowls I had thrown. No sleep for the wicked I guess, I am exhausted. Of course, when I work, I never stop. Without a bell or someone to tell me Lunch or break, I don't! As a result I have these all or nothing days. I really need to learn to stop to eat, etc. Like a kid not wanting to stop playing, I guess, that is how I tackle work.






Duh! Maybe I need a bell?
Any suggestions? Debbie you work at home, any suggestions?
BTW, your e-mail keeps coming back, all e-mail! I have sent 5!

I have some work that is experimental that needs to be fired, Much of it was over fired in the supposed bisque fire, but I forgot to enter the temp in my new kiln ( it is supposed to be automatic!) Do I sound like a blonde? So it was overfired, to what I am not sure, quick bisque I think,. Sounds like soup, it almost was!

BTW, I got this The Blonde Year in Review from my cousin, ( below) I think I will just post it, it is very funny! Maybe blondes are just tired! ( Like me!)

Soo, after I fire this glaze fire, I need to fire this bisque of these items here, and then I will know if I can dip these pieces or if I have to make a spray booth to handle the job best.

My spray booth is a cardboard box that I paint with wax inside to line it, I get a filter from the hardware store, and cut a hole in the back for a fan to pull the air ( hopefully residual glaze) through.

It works ok, not great, but a spray booth is very pricey! I need a slab roller first, and a few other items, not to mention a ton of porcelain to work with. ( Literally)

I hope to design tiles again oneday for corporate installations. I had begun this endeaver before my divorce, but after the divorce, there was no way I could raise Daisy and explore that possibility. I tried. My tiles from before are in relief, very small, and smoke fired. They have a very primitive look, and are nice to touch.

Monarch Tile Company has the only work I produced in a very large size ( and it is rather small) in their corporate collection. I know the tiles are worth the effort, I just need to build up steam and eventually get back to it and find my way into collections and buildings. Any suggestions are welcome if anyone in the know might be reading this by some synchronistic miracle!

For now I will just be content with my porcelain bowls, and wherever that takes me, we really should not take life for granted, we never know when it will end for us! Do we?


The Blonde Year in Review

January - Took her new scarf back to the store because it was too tight.

February - Couldn't work in a pharmacy because the bottles wouldn't fit
into the typewriter.

March - Got excited when she finished a jigsaw puzzle in 6 months
because the box said "2-4 years."

April - Was trapped on an escalator for hours when the power went out.

May - Couldn't make Kool-Aid because 8 cups of water won't fit into
those little packets.

June - Couldn't learn to water ski because she couldn't find a lake with
a slope.

July - After losing in a breaststroke swimming competition, complained
to the judges that the other swimmers were using their arms.

August - Told her blonde friend to hurry when trying to get into their
locked car using a coat hanger because it was starting to rain and the
top was down

September - When asked what the capital of California was: answered "C."

October - Decided she hates M &M's because they are so hard to peel and
there were too many W's in the bag.

November - Baked Thanksgiving turkey for 4 days because the instructions
said 1 hour per pound and she weighed 120.

December - House burned down. Couldn't call 911 because there was no
"11" on any phone button.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaw Sherry, I have the EXACT same problem as you do -- get totally absorbed in my work, forget to eat, forget EVERYTHING else. Wish I had some Magic Suggestion for you, but after 15 years working at home, missing a few appointments, etc., I have given up. Like you say I guess, I only get distracted when the phone rings, or I get blood-sugar-crash shaky. However, your work is lovely... mine is only words on paper. Yet, we're both GOOOOD at our work, and the envy of those who don't know what it's like to work at home (odd, challenging, but rewarding in unique ways). Love ya, Debbie

Nimbostratusdweller said...

And I was SURE you'd have the logical solution for me, Oh well, two peas in a pod! If we lived closer, we could meet for lunch....