Translate

October 02, 2007

Can you believe it's October already? Tasting sweet memories, filling my soul..


There is a distinct chill in the air here, now. The house is chilled too, and today, October winds are already blowing

My black cat is curled by the window on his fleece red blanket, that sits atop his zabuton.
Afterall, he is the Puddha.

Twice it took to get him to consider going outside this morning, the wind wasn't very appealing to him, he'd prefer the drizzle over it.

Umm, there were racoon tracks on my door step last night as I came in from being out, (my my mexican food twice in the last 4 days). My favorite BTW is cheese enchiladas with onions and ( make that cheddar cheese) beans, rice, guacamole, salad,,umm.. Yum yum!

This time of year, harvest time, turns ones thoughts to canning, cooking, baking. So many choices, 'pies', because yes, Sunday I drove to LaConner and went to an orchard and bought honey crisp apples ( so big, they weigh about a pound a piece).
I bought Jonagold too, , for pies. 1.00 a pound at the orchard. Good price, Honey crisps fetch 2.49 at the stores.
Karen (my Kentucky friend) said to bake some, what a great idea, they make the house smell so good, baked apples. Taste yummy topped with cinnamon. Oh and I like making a nice compote for pancakes, with raisins and apples, spices , butter, sugar.

I'm missing my family tho as I speak about cooking and fall times. and all that. I am taken back to when I was a little girl, living in PA, and raking fall leaves to jump into. Eating Grandma's home made bread with butter, hot from the oven. My brothers birthday, the 18th of October. He was 15 months older than me.

Had a note from my cousin yesterday, reminiscing family ties then, the beauty of it all, having so much connection so close by, better than fingertips on a keyboard, and internet.

I remember my mother ironing, I was looking up at her from way down where 3 or 4 year olds look up from, saying, "Mummie, could we go see that little gift that lives down the alley?" "You mean your cousin" She replied, ..that gave me pause to consider.. We went for a visit.

She lived in the next block. All us kids in the neighborhood played together on a vacant lot, to us it was a jungle. Hmm, the sweet memories,,they just roll over me. My kids never knew that kind of life and they never knew what it was like to be with my family, after our move, things just came all apart. Everyone going their own ways. Karen , My cousin and I both miss our families, and the closeness of it all. Family reunions, but not sure why, we all lived there! haha Pop so much pop, so many flavors, and we were wasteful trying them all out. Strawberry soda, orange soda, rootbeer, some memories are just vivid.

My mind is wandering again...flitting here and there, tasting sweet memories, filling my soul.

No comments: